Saturday, October 22, 2011

Just after the quarter mark...

Football fans...I know you've been rooting for your favorite teams and lately I've been hearing the usual  blasphemy about who's the best in the league and who's the worst.  As you know, this is the unbiased sportsfan and anyone who knows me, knows that I'm a diehard Skins fan...however, before the season started I predicted 8-8 for the season.  That looks fairly accurate, especially with the QB situation.  Now, here's my breakdown of teams right after the first quarter of the season.

Top 5 teams in the league - In this order
1. Green Bay Packers - Best QB/Offense in the NFL right now, good enough on D to win the whole thing.
2. New England Patriots - Tom Brady (nuff said) and the D is starting to play better.
3. Baltimore Ravens - D is playing very well.  Ray Rice is a beast.  Flacco needs to play more consistent to make real noise in the playoffs though.
4. New Orleans Saints - I know they're 4-2 and just lost to the Bucs...so what!  They have Drew Brees, you don't.
5. San-Francisco 49ers - I know I'm gonna hear it about this.  They have a great running game, stingy D and Alex Smith is playing like he should of played 4 years ago.  Plus they just beat the Lions (who I had 5th before last Sunday)

Honorable Mentions -  Lions, Chargers, Giants


Worst 5 teams in the league - In this order
1. St. Louis Rams - These guys just stink. No explanation needed.
2. Miami Dolphins - No running game, No passing game...no wins.
3. Indianapolis Colts - No Peyton, no wins.
4. Minnesota Vikings - Best RB in football, that's it.  1 win.
5. Jacksonville Jaguars - Competitive but too many holes to fill.


Honorable Mentions - Chiefs, Cardinals, Broncos


At the beginning of the year, I made my division winners and wild card predictions.
Here they are again:

NFC
Eagles, Packers, Saints, 49ers
Wild cards - Lions, Falcons

AFC
Patriots, Ravens, Titans, Raiders
Wild cards - Jets, Chargers

I'm not changing those...however in the AFC, with the Jets struggles, I could see them losing a wild card spot to the Steelers.

In the NFC...with the Eagles trying to dig themselves out of the "dream-team" hole I think the division is now up for grabs which means anybody could win it.  I'll stick with my prediction though.  Giants could end up winning the East though.

Teams that still could make noise and mess things up...
1. Cincinnati Bengals - Best D in football, surprising rookie QB
2. Buffalo Bills - Above average QB/RB QB, heart.
3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Young and talented, could still win the NFC South
4. Houston Texans - Very talented.  Losing Andre and Mario(for the season) really hurts though.
5. Washington Redskins - Very good D, above average running the ball.  Questionable at QB and play calling.

There you have it.  I will be back at the halfway point of the season to see if anything changes.  As always, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment