Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Boxing Sucks...

I know, I know...you're probably shocked at the title of today's blog...or maybe you're not.  However, there is a good reason for my beef with boxing as a sport.  You be be called the best without ever fighting the best. 

So the other day, I'm scanning the internet and I see a headline that reads "Mayweather ends boxing drought".  I'm thinking...Great!  He's gotta be fighting against Pacquiao right?  I mean for the last few years he's been the best boxer in the world (according to boxing magazines and analysts) So as I'm reading I see that he's fighting Victor Ortiz...wow...really? 

You wait almost a year and a half to fight Victor Ortiz?  The supposed best fighter in our generation is fighting another young up and comer?  Just so he can pick them apart and stay Undefeated...

Yep...That's right boxing sucks.

This is the reason why fighters like Paul Williams will never get a real fight.  People don't want to fight people that could actually beat them in the ring so they choose guys they can pick apart.  Why do you think the MMA movement has been so huge.  People rather pay 50 bucks to see guys fight for three to nine minutes before they watch a 12 round bout with guys they never heard about.

Don't get me wrong...I don't want to discredit Victor Ortiz.  He's an aggressive, power puncher that will attack Money Mayweather for 8-12 rounds before he loses to the cards.  The world just wants to see Manny in the same ring with Floyd and win, lose or draw we can be done with it.

In my opinion, boxing should force the champs and the best fighters to compete against each other to see what's what.  What good is being undefeated if you only fought a handful of good fighters? 

What if Michael Jordan's Bulls came out of the East and said..."nah, we don't wanna play against the Lakers..they've got Magic.."  What if Tiger said the field is too good this tournament, let me play next week when Phil Mickelson's on vacation...what if Roger Federer decided that he's tired of Nadal beating him so he just stopped playing on clay courts?  Real champions face the pressure and their opponents head on.  They give it whatever they have and let the chips fall where they may. 

It's a shame that it doesn't happen in every sport...


Drop

No comments:

Post a Comment